As we all know, time flies and I’m sure for some, Mother’s Day has crept up on us this year. Since we are down to the wire (Mom’s Day is THIS SUNDAY), here is my wishlist of readily available gift ideas that would make any Lazy Homesteader, this one in particular, pretty happy!
- Pressure canner such as the Presto 23 quart Deluxe Pressure Canner that is available at the local hardware store. Yep, Ace at University Hills has one in stock for $119, Rick. So does the Ace at Cherry Hills Marketplace. Plus, I have a $5 off coupon in the Chinook book. ;) Then I could can up all that broth instead of freezing it; it’d be ready to use in a snap.
- Gift card to the local garden center. Plus watching the kids while I go shop there. I can use it to buy the frivolous plants you never want me to get when we’re planting out the veggie beds. And if you do the laundry or the dishes while I’m gone, you might get some sort of husband of the year award.
- A gardening/homesteading/foodie/self-sufficiency book. I have a few titles on my list… A Householder’s Guide to the Universe by Harriet Fasenfest, Kristen Kimball’s The Dirty Life, anything Sharon Astyk has written (her latest, Making Home, is available for pre-order), Coyne and Knutzen’s Making It, one or all of Jennifer McLagan’s books: Bones, Fat, or Odd Bits, Rosalind Creasy’s Edible Landscaping, the new Free-Range Chicken Gardens by Bloom and Baldwin, or The Non-Toxic Avenger by Deanna Duke.
- Rubber boots. Okay, so I just bought a pair for myself, but I figured that I’m not the only gardener/homestead type who wants a pair of these. I love them. They will run in the $20-35 dollar range. I was lucky and got these on sale for $18. Note to my hubby: This does not get you off the hook for Sunday. 🙂
- New pruners. Good, sharp ones that will last. Something in the $30 plus dollar range that can cut through 1″ thick branches. At this point, I feel like I’ve outgrown the $9.99-special pruners. They just don’t hold up to the rigors we put them through. Think of them as an investment. FELCO is notoriously good, and you can even buy replacement parts. Hey, show me the order confirmation number and all will be forgiven if they arrive late.😉
Of course, spending time with the man and the kids is the best part of the day for us moms (as long as there is no laundry and no dishes involved). And I especially love it when my man cooks for the family.
What is on your Mother’s Day wishlist?